Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Supreme Smashed Potatoes

Let me start off by saying I never make mashed potatoes. I love 'em, I think they're great, I just don't buy potatoes when I'm at the store. You know, the whole carb thing. Now I know you're in shock hearing me talk about carbs...I mean, have you SEEN how many dessert/cookies/cupcake/pasta/CARB recipes I have on this dang blog?! I gotta save where I can. I'll give up potatoes for all the other carbs I can't live without. Give one carb up, take five. That's my math. Don't ask questions.

Back to potatoes. I had envisioned making twice baked potatoes, but all the potatoes in the bag I picked up at the store were so small, I didn't think it'd be worth baking them, scooping the insides out, putting the insides back in. You know the drill. So low and behold, I decided to make some supreme potatoes minus the "twice baked" part.

Ingredients:


  • 6 small-medium potatoes

  • 1/3 cup sour cream

  • 4 tablespoons butter

  • 1/4 cup milk

  • 1 cup broccoli

  • 6 strips bacon, cooked & chopped

  • 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese

  • salt & pepper
Start out by peeling your potatoes. Chop in to pretty good size chunks and throw in a large pot. Add just enough water to cover the potatoes and bring to a boil. Boil for about 15-20 minutes or until done. They should fall apart if you stick a fork in it. Basically, just do whatever you would do if you're making normal mashed potatoes. Nothing fancy here folks.

While the potatoes are boiling away, cook 1 cup broccoli. You can blanch it, steam it, whatever you want. I just cooked mine in a saute pan on the stove with a tiny drizzle of olive oil. Once the broccoli is cooked, chop it up and sit aside.


Drain the potatoes once their fully done. Leave a teensy (is that a word?) bit of the starchy water in the pot. Add the butter, milk, sour cream, grated cheese, chopped bacon, broccoli, and salt and pepper to the pot. Mix it up until it looks sinfully delicious like this...


Transfer to a serving bowl and top with some parsley. Danny went crazy over this dish. I think he was excited when he saw potatoes on the table. After all, this was only the second (no lie) time I've made mashed potatoes since we've been married. I had to fight him the next day for the leftovers.


Enjoy!














2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I would have never thought to add broccoli, although seems like I remember some little girls who liked to stir their corn into their mashed potatoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this is making my tummy growl. I LOVE potatoes and this sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete