Monday, April 25, 2011

Pulled Pork with a Kick

Being from Texas, I've never had much to do with Pulled Pork. When Texans eat BBQ, it's beef brisket. No questions asked. End of story. It was only after I imported my husband from Georgia that I realized brisket is not the only BBQ out there. In his opinion, pulled pork = BBQ. Don't even get me started on Brunswick stew. Never even heard of the stuff until I met him. I've still yet to see this infamous dish in any restaurant in Texas, however in my husband's words, "no bbq meal is complete without brunswick stew." It's still up for debate in our household.

Let's get back to business. I don't know if I'd call this a "bbq" recipe or not. Whatever you want to classify it as, it is absolutely delicious! I can not wait to make this again. Who wants to come visit so I can cook this again?? One pulled pork for just the two of us is a little much. It'd feed us for an entire week. On second thought, that's not such a bad idea...

Here's all you need:



  • 1 Pork Shoulder / Boston Butt (however they're labeled in your grocery store) anywhere from 4-7 lbs

  • 1 tablespoon ground Cumin

  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder

  • 1 tablespoon onion powder

  • 1 tablespoon chili powder

  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

  • 1 tablespoon black pepper

  • 1 tablespoon salt

  • 1 tablespoon paprika

  • 1/2 cup brown sugar

  • 1 cup beef broth
Start out by mixing all the dry ingredients in a bowl. This is your rub.
Cover your entire piece of pork with the rub mix. Top, bottom, sides...get it all over! Sit the pork fat side up in a crock pot, and if you have extra seasoning left over just pour it in.

Pour the 1 cup of beef broth over the pork.

Cook on low until the inside of the pork reaches 200 degrees. You should be able to pull it apart with 2 forks very easily. A good estimate of time is about 1.5 hours per lb.


This is the best, no-fail pulled pork recipe I've tried. Back off a tad on the measurements when making the rub if you don't like a little spice, because this definitely has it! On second thought, forget I said that. This is the most flavorful pork I've ever had. Go for it baby!














1 comment:

  1. This was delicious!!! (I've never heard of the stew either. He probably wants beans in his chili too...geesh!):)

    ReplyDelete