Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Flaming Strawberry Vanilla Cupcakes

This post is a little late, but here's what I made for Valentine's Day -- flaming cupcakes! How fun is that?! I used our tride and true Vanilla Almond cake mix (or "wedding cake" as we call it in my family). It's pretty much the best white cake recipe ever. Anytime there's a cake made in my family...this is the recipe used. All credit due to mom...of course :)

Ingredients:
  • 1 box white cake mix (mom says Duncan Hines is the best)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/3 cup water
  • 1/8 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
  • 4 large egg whites

Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir together with a whisk. Add the remaining ingredients and beat on low for 2 minutes. Bake at 325 until done - use box for idea.

While their baking, mix up the frosting. I used my regular buttercream recipe:
  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (crisco)
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk

I added about 3 tbsp cocoa powder to the recipe to make a chocolate frosting, and I have to say...I wasn't crazy about it. I'd never made chocolate frosting before, so next time I think I'll look around for a recipe. Something more chocolate-y...the cocoa powder didn't do it for me.

To do the flaming strawberries, hull out the inside and sit the strawberry down in the frosting.

Fill with liquor (something 80 proof, I used vodka), light and enjoy the show! The flame lasts about a minute or so. Happy belated Valentine's Day!






2 comments:

  1. Great post on "Flaming Strawberry Vanilla Cupcakes". As a professional chef i have to appreciate your work. Keep Posting useful posts like this. Keep in touch with my websites- dubai cooking classes | gelato base colleges dubai

    ReplyDelete