Monday, March 14, 2011

Ultimate Manwich


Let me just say I did not take the above photo. I wish I took the photo, as it's absolutely gorgeous, but nope, this photo is from Pioneer Woman. I didn't get a good pic of the finished good, so I wanted you to see this photo so you could see how tasty this manwich is!

Pioneer Woman calls this Marlboro Man Sandwich, as it's her husband's (aka Marlboro Man) favorte sandwich. I'm going to call it Manwich, as I think any man in his right mind would love this sandwich. Heck, I loved this sandwich! Here's my slightly adapted recipe:

Ingredients (serving size 2):
  • 3 cube steaks
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • salt and pepper
  • garlic
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 bottle beer
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 4 dashes Tobasco
  • 2 hamburger or deli rolls
  • 2 slices provolone cheese

Slice the cube steak in horizontal strips going against the grain. Season generously with salt and pepper.Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over high heat. Once melted, brown the strips of cube steak until done. A couple minutes per side should do it.
While that's sizzling away, slice the bell pepper into rings. Slice the onion up as well; not too skinny! Now the mushrooms. Feel free to use however many you want. Danny's the only mushroom eater in this house, so I just did a small handfull for him.
Once the cube steak is done, remove and let cool on a separate plate. With the pan still hot, toss in the onion and bell pepper. Throw in some chopped garlic as well. You can never go wrong with garlic.
Cook for a few minutes until done, and then remove and sit aside.
Back to the same skillet. Add 1 tablespoon butter and throw in those sliced mushrooms. Cook them for a few minutes and then pour in 1/2 a bottle of beer. Any 'ol kind will work.

Add back in the cooked meat and onion/bell pepper to the skillet. Thrown in 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce and 4 dashes Tobasco. Stir this around for a few minutes to heat the meat and veggies back up, and for everything to have a chance to soak in that flavor.
While that's going on, toast your buns in a separate skillet.
Time to assemble! Place a big spoonful of this skillet medley on the bottom bun.
Top with cheese, and serve and enjoy! Danny went wild over this. He's starting a petition to get it added to the regular rotation. I think I'll give in :)

No comments:

Post a Comment